How to Make a Natural Foliage and Berry Crown // DIY

08:29

  Today is another tutorial, this time for the leaf crown I featured in my recent outfit post here. Other than a few fiddly bits of weaving the foliage, the main steps are reasonably simple- just start winding and adding greenery until you have the desired effect! To make the shaping of the crown easier, I'd recommend using flexible greenery, so young, fresh and smaller branches tend to be the best because anything too woody will either break or not weave properly. You can also substitute berries for small rosebuds or flowers, but bear in mind that they don't last as long!
Ready to get started?
You will need: Wire, tape measure, pliers, scissors, greenery of your choice- mine featured ivy, fir, eucalyptus and dog rose hips.

1. Cut a length of wire long enough to go around the circumference of your head two and a half times.
2. Bend the wire into a circle a little wider than your head, and wrap the rest of the wire around to strengthen it. This bit doesn't have to be tight or perfect- in fact you're going to need slight gaps in between the wires for  the next steps!
3. Begin by using long vines of ivy to wind around the wire base. Poke the ends of each vine into the gaps between the wires and tighten the wire together if needed to secure the vines. Keep winding and weaving the ivy around each other until you've got a good base covered in greenery.
4. Next, poke the stem of a eucalyptus branch into a gap between the wires and ivy and wrap the around, adding more branches until you get a shape you like. There isn't really a huge amount of technique to describe here- just keep adding and manipulating the greenery as you build it up.

5. Finally, tuck in a few sprigs of fir and berries for a colourful touch!

You Might Also Like

26 comments

  1. What a lovely idea! Looks so beautiful :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! Very nice post! :)

    http://stylewithoutstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm glad you like it!
      Emma xo

      Delete
  3. Oh, how wonderful! Everyone's always so worked up about flower crowns, but I gotta say, this is darling, perhaps far more darling than wildflowers. And it looks absolutely beautiful on your blonde-haired head with your red lipstick--WOW!

    zauberbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much Carly, it's just a little different to the normal flower crowns isn't it! I'm so glad you like it!
      Emma xo

      Delete
  4. I really love your universe. You are very unique in the world of blogs.
    You ideas are very cool.

    I love to read this blog, also to be inspired.

    Thanks

    Marc Dan
    http://www.myhomestory.eu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marc, I'm glad you find my blog inspiring!
      Emma xo

      Delete
  5. Uh, wow. This is freaking stunning. You look like an ethereal fairy. I have to make this. It'd be ridiculous not to. :] // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you so much Carmen! Send me a photo/link if you do make it, I'd love to see how it turns out!
      Emma xo

      Delete
  6. This is sooo good! The top photo of you is beautiful! I'd love to try it but I just know how rubbish mine would turn out haha x

    Hayley-Eszti // www.hayleyeszti.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much Hayley! Tehe, it's a simpler that it looks haha!
      Emma xo

      Delete
  7. This is sooo pretty and looks so good with your red lipstick. May have to make one myself!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alice! Let me know if you do, I'd love to see!
      Emma xo

      Delete
  8. This is so gorgeous ♥ very tempted to make one now, it looks so beautiful on you as well!
    Love your blog, following you on GFC now :3 can't wait to see more posts!

    xx
    http://www.oliviaemily.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you so much Olivia, I just love your style and blog too :3
      Emma xo

      Delete
  9. This is such a cute tutorial and so easy to make! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks amazing! So much better than the ones you can buy, and I love the lipstick you wore with it :) x

    http://creamteaandrosejam.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Gemma, I'm glad you like it :)
      Emma xo

      Delete
  11. oh my goodness, with your blonde locks and fair skin you look like the Swedish Christmas queen. such a lovely piece! i have to admit, i'm not much for wearing things on my head, i feel much too conspicuous, but i think i really can go for this.
    thank you for sharing!

    -Abigail
    sweetergetsthejourneyblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much Abigail ^_^ I agree, I'm quite picky when it comes to head wear, but anything with real flowers or leaves I just fall in love with!
      Have a lovely day,
      Emma xo

      Delete
  12. incredible! what an amazing idea and you look great :) x

    cat / je suis cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cat! :)
      Emma xo

      Delete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments, I read each and every one and I love to hear feedback! Please don't leave follow for a follow, or ask me to check out you blog, just leave your link and I usually take a look at them anyway! x

Subscribe